July 1987: I'm going to Iowa

July 2, 1987

Mark Johnson
Wrestling Office
223 CHA
Iowa City, IA 52242

Dear Coach Johnson:

I'm interested in making a permanent move to Iowa City to train for freestyle/greco. I'm 24 years old and I compete at 125 in both styles for the NYAC. I'm mature, dependable and serious about training, and I'd be a great drilling/training partner for your 125-pounders.

I've been trying to pursue both a career and wrestle competitively, and I've found it is not possible to do in New York City. Compounding this is the fact that NYAC workouts are held only once a week, twice max.

Basically, I'm psyched up and ready to go to Iowa. I've made tentative arrangements to move at the end of August. I've got food, shelter, housing, jobs, everything else taken care of. All I ask of you is your approval.

Thanks for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,

Todd Tarpley


7/16/87
The major news today is that I called Iowa on Tuesday to follow up on my letter to Mark Johnson. I talked to a guy named Kevin Dresser who said they'd gotten my letter, talked it over with Johnson and Gable and said okay. So dammit, I'm Iowa bound.

No comments:

Post a Comment